AMAN HEIGHTS COMMUNITY FORUM

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IKEA shopping

4 posters

Go down

IKEA shopping Empty IKEA shopping

Post by kelvin Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:55 am

Did you guys found any good stuff that value for money in Ikea. Maybe all of us can share some idea here.

I found a TV cabinet cost about RM1300+ which I feel it is very quality and worth for money. It is in my purchase list. Wait I go and get the catalog number and will share more here. :p
kelvin
kelvin
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Back to top Go down

IKEA shopping Empty Re: IKEA shopping

Post by thedude Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Personally, I like to go to Ikea. It's so nice to be able to try out everything. I always gets lots of ideas when I go there. And I love that pie looking chocolate cake thingy....yummy....Everything just seems so nice over there BUT some advise (my 2 cents lah)....

- The designs are supposingly Swedish but they're still all made in China. Some are good stuffs but they're also some that looks nice but dun last.
- Ikea's stuffs are NOT cheap unless it's on offer. Dun buy becoz it's cheap. Buy because you like the design / feel. They're a lot of shops in Klang Valley that can offer better deals if you search hard enough. I mean for those common looking coffee table or things like that. Chinese saying, "Cheap thing no good thing.".
- Usually those things that looks nice are sold out and you'll never know when there'll be stock. Once I waited for 2 months for a product but no show. You can't place a booking / reservation. And if u did not get in when it comes in, it's gone very soon again.
- Ikea's goods have lots of hidden cost. Take the kitchen cabinet for example. Let say if u have downloaded the kitchen design software and the price says RM7k. That's NOT the actual price coz u still have to add in transportation / delivery charges, installation charges, handles, soft close, racks, trays, accesories, etc.
- Dun buy if u r impatient. Some of the bigger stuffs like cupboard require significant amount of manpower and installation experiment experience and you might mix up the pieces and have to dismantle and start all over again.
- If u r buying a rack or table or etc, make sure when u check for the stability, the thing have not been bolted down. Most of the things on display have been bolted down in the showroom and if u r not careful, u might get the impression that it's very "solid" but when u get it home it's all shaky and creaking (like my stupid bed. Creaks whenever i turn.).
- If u r buying a lot of stuffs from Ikea requiring DIY, please...go buy an electric screwdriver first. Get a really good and powerful one (preferably not using AA batteries). I bought a LOT of stuffs from Ikea (almost everything) for my house in my hometown and ended up with blistered and swelling hands. That RM200 you're gonna invest for the electric screwdriver...worth every penny. Make sure u get one that can attach an Allen key head. The "s" type supplied by Ikea inside the usual bags of screws are crap...

Having said that, be careful when u buy things from shops like Cavenzi also. I bought the lounge chair (the one that looks the same like the one from Ikea. Curved wooden frame with fabric seat) for RM99. The fabric koyak after 2 weeks. The frame design is different and give u back pain. So again, cheap stuff no good stuff. But again, not all stuffs from thenm are bad but just be wise when u buy.

Last edited by thedude on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
thedude
thedude
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by kelvin Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:53 pm

wow, nice advice to all for those shoping in IKEA. Thanks thedude for sharing his personal experience and "pain" Laughing
kelvin
kelvin
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by T Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 am

great advice! thanks for sharing..

and the chocolate cake, yup it's very tasty! highly recommended Very Happy

T
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by tionwooi Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Ya, thank thedude for sharing his advice to all of us ya! Will take note when I shop in Ikea next time. Laughing
tionwooi
tionwooi
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down